MAJESTIC RED PORPHYRY BASIN
MAJESTIC RED PORPHYRY BASIN or LABRUM OF ROYAL PROVENANCE, FROM THE ROYAL QUARRY OF BREDVAD, SWEDEN, OF THE FIRST THIRD OF THE XIXth CENTURY
MAJESTIC RED PORPHYRY BASIN or LABRUM OF ROYAL PROVENANCE, FROM THE ROYAL QUARRY OF BREDVAD, SWEDEN, OF THE FIRST THIRD OF THE XIXth CENTURY, from the Ateliers of the lapidary workshop of Älvadalen, Sweden.
Under the basin, rich decoration in chiselled and gilt bronze representing feminine masks with flowered hair surrounded by leaved branches ending by cornucopiae filled with flowers. It is supported by three porphyry columns with corinthian capitals and three ormolu large rings. The "ensemble" is resting on a triangular base encased by a moulding of ormolu leaves sitting on a circular base resting on three ormolu lion's claws.
The ormolu mountings are attributed to Ludwig Mangeot
The red porphyry comes from the Royal quarry of Bredvad
Sweden, first third of the XIXth Century
Dimensions : Height cm. 128
Diameter cm. 72
-Present from King Charles XIV Jean of Sweden (1762-1844)
to Marshal-Count Gérard (1773-1852), hence
-Collection of Count Jean Etienne Desmier, Count d'Archiac de
Saint-Simon (1845-1927), grand-son of the Marshal on his mother's side Louise Félicie Etienne Gérard, Vicountess d'Archiac, hence
-Collection of his nephew and adopted son, Count François Ferdinand de Bryas-Desmier d'Archiac (1895-1958), hence
-Collection of his son, Count Jacques Emmanuel de Bryas-Desmier
d'Archiac, at the Castle of Mauvières, in Saint-Forget.